My boys and I absolutely love going camping. From large excursions with the Scouts group to family getaways to nights in the backyard, if we’re under the stars cuddled up in a blanket around a crackling fire, we’re in our happy place. And as with many other special things in life, one of our favourite things about camping is the food!
Like most kids, my boys are never going to turn down classics like hot dogs and marshmallows. But I love getting more creative with my campfire cooking and one of my all-time favourite ways to make a campfire main course is by using foil. I love the versatility of being able to cook up a foil packet containing all our favourite foods. And the minimal cleanup of the method is an added bonus!
There are some great recipe ideas for foil-wrapped campfire meals on the Kraft What’s Cooking website; the Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner looks sublime! But I found that most of them were more dinner ideas and I wanted to make something more suitable for a camping lunch. And so my Campfire Ham and Cheese Bread was created!
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 6 Kraft Cracker Barrel Swiss Cheese slices
- 6 slices deli ham
- Cut twelve slices into loaf of bread, stopping about ¼ inch before the bottom.
- Mix together butter and mustard until combined. Spread every other cut with the butter/mustard mixture.
- Stuff one slice of cheese and one slice of meat into buttered slices to create six sandwiches.
- Wrap loaf in large sheet of greased foil to create a foil packet. Place on barbeque or campfire and cook at a medium heat for about twenty to thirty minutes, turning loaf every five to ten minutes.
- Carefully open foil packet, pull apart sandwiches and serve.
Like almost all of my favourite recipes, the beauty of this meal is its versatility. Substitute mayo for the butter, Kraft mozzarella for the Kraft Cracker Barrel Swiss Cheese slices or your child’s favourite deli meat for the ham. My boys especially love oven-roasted chicken breast slices! I also enjoy adding veggies sometimes for a more gourmet-style sandwich; red pepper is always delicious. And best of all, it can be cooked either on the barbeque or on the campfire itself!
The one thing to remember when making this tasty lunch is to grease the foil, because the sandwich is sure to stick to it otherwise. Since one loaf makes six sandwiches, it’s a good choice for feeding a crowd. And it’s a great dish to make ahead; just keep the foil-wrapped loaf in your refrigerator or cooler until it’s time to toss it on the grill!
For more delicious camping and RV food ideas, make sure to visit the Kraft Canada What’s Cooking website. From tasty make-ahead salads to scrumptious desserts to other fun foil-wrapped meal ideas, you’re sure to get inspired to whip up a new family favourite on your next camping trip. It’s a great year to make your summer extra delicious!