As regular readers will know, I’m pretty picky about the sunscreen I use on my family, but I also know that everyone has their own thoughts about what products are best for protecting themselves and their children from sunburn. Regardless of which brand of sunscreen you use, one thing is certain: proper sun protection is important. The following guest post created by Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic has some fabulous information about sun safety and tips to ensure that your family stays protected no matter what kind of summer fun you are enjoying. Check it out and have a sun-safe summer!
Canadian Sun Care Survey and Sun Safety Tips
presented by Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic
Sunshine and warmer weather; Canadians are finally starting to get it. Understanding the importance of sun protection and prevention; Canadians aren’t getting it at all. According to a new Canadian Sun Care survey nearly one third of respondents are not using any sunscreen while outdoors, putting them at risk from the sun’s harmful rays. Proper application of a sunscreen that offers both UVA and UVB protection, protective clothing and shade are all essential to prevent harmful damage to your skin, according to dermatologist Dr. Julia Carroll, MD FRCPC.
“Canadians who don’t wear sunscreen are playing with fire and might get burned, literally and figuratively,” says dermatologist Dr. Julia Carroll MD FRCPC. “These are alarming statistics given that roughly 90% of skin cancers are caused by sun exposure. Proper application of a sunscreen designed to provide broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, such as those offered by Hawaiian Tropic and Banana Boat, is one of the best ways to defend against the harmful effects that the sun’s rays can have on your skin.”
The survey, which polled over 5,000 Canadian Households, found that only 38% of the surveyed household’s primary shoppers purchased sunscreen in the past 12 months, and less than 10% of adults apply sunscreen every two hours while outdoors — a guideline recommended by the Canadian Dermatology Association. Overall usage ranked highest in children under 12 with 85% using sunscreen in the past 12 months – the highest in any age group.
“Getting your kids involved and aware early can help them develop safe sun habits that will last them a lifetime,” says Dr. Carroll. “Adults need to be just as careful as children. More than one in five respondents have been sunburned in the last 12 months.”
Other highlights from the survey include:
- 64% of Canadian Adults prefer some colour while 10% prefer a dark tan
- Top reasons why respondents aren’t using sunscreen: they aren’t spending much time in the sun (52%), wearing protective clothing (25%), and forgetting or not being bothered to wear any (24%)
- Top factors influencing purchasing decisions are: offers longer lasting protection (83%) and easy to apply (81%)
No matter your age or lifestage, make proper sunscreen application a part of your daily routine to protect your skin and yourself. Regardless of the sunscreen brand you use, it is essential to use enough sunscreen to achieve the necessary level of SPF protection. That would be one fluid ounce (30mL) or more for adults, and at least half of that for children each time you apply.
Here are some sun safety tips from Dr. Julia Carroll:
- Apply sunscreen at least 20 to 30 minutes before going outdoors.
- The sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Protect yourself appropriately.
- Don’t forget to wear protection on cloudy days as well as sunny. UVB rays may be partially blocked by the grayness, but UVA rays are not.
- Don’t forget those often-missed spots like ears, lips, eyes and nose. Use a lightweight lotion like Hawaiian Tropic® Sheer Touch sunscreen that is great for faces and all over protection.
- Make sure to reapply sunscreen frequently, at least every two hours, and more often if children are dipping in and out of the pool, ocean or lake—or running through the sprinkler.
- Always use products designed specifically for the sensitive skin of babies and kids. The Banana Boat® brand babies and kids lotions and sprays are all pediatrician-tested, hypoallergenic and formulated to be tear-free so they don’t sting eyes.
- Little ones, especially babies, become dehydrated more easily than adults. When outside with the family, always have extra drinking water on hand.
- Make sunscreen application a part of the daily routine. That way you’re likely to encounter fewer struggles, and you’ll be teaching your kids a life-long healthy habit.
- Reapply sunscreen frequently, at least every two hours. If you’re in the surf or if you’re breaking a good sweat, reapply more often.
- Just because it’s cloudy doesn’t mean you should skip the sunscreen. Up to 80% of the sun’s harmful rays can penetrate clouds. If you’re on the court or the course under clouds or haze, use at least a mid-range SPF like Banana Boat® Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30.
- Remember that water acts as a lens, reflecting the sunlight to your skin and magnifying the effect. So whether you’re on a board or a boat, use a high SPF sunscreen that’s also water-resistant for more hard-hitting protection.
About the Energizer Sun Care Survey
The 2011 Canadian Sun Care Survey was fielded to a custom online sample of 10,461 adult Canadians aged 18+ by Nielsen, between May 11-25, 2011. Of those invited to the survey, 5,949 households responded. The survey responders were statistically projected to the total Canadian household population. This survey was conducted to gain a deeper understanding of consumers’ usage, attitudes and perceptions around the Sun Care category. As the survey is sample based, Nielsen calculated an expected margin of error for each question’s individual response as +/- 2.
About Banana Boat
Banana Boat is a registered trademark of Sun Pharmaceuticals, LLC. Banana Boat® Sunscreen offers a wide range of products for adults and kids with broad-spectrum UVA and UVB Protection. Banana Boat is the #1 brand of Kids Sunscreen in Canada*.
For more protection tips, or to learn more about Banana Boat® products call 1-888-SUN-TIPS
About Hawaiian Tropic
Hawaiian Tropic sun care is a registered trademark of Tanning Research Laboratories, LLC. Founded in 1969, Hawaiian Tropic is one of the top selling sunscreen brands in Canada. With a range of products and SPFs up to 70, Hawaiian Tropic sunscreens provide broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
For more protection tips, or to learn more about Hawaiian Tropic® products visit www.HawaiianTropicCanada.com