Pets have always been a part of my life, and I’ve featured posts before about our diva of a pet cat, the standoffish Siamese Racer. While she may seem reserved, she is so gentle and affectionate and we have never had to worry about her scratching or biting the boys, even when they get a little too rough.
Needless to say, Racer is a huge part of all our family activities. She comes on every family trip with us and we never celebrate a special occasion without spoiling her with a treat or a new toy too! She’s such an important member of our family and this Family Day, we’ll be making sure that she gets to do some celebrating too, if only with some extra cuddle-time!
We’ve owned dogs in the past and while we don’t have one now, I know we’ll most likely have one in the future! I just want our boys to be old enough to help care for a dog first! I believe every family should have a pet, and so does Purina, which is why the company has recently conducted a poll to see just how important pets are to Canadian families. The Dog Chow Family Poll showed that:
- Three-quarters of Canadian dog owners take their canine companions into account when making decisions about vacations, homes and car purchases
- Over half spend more time with their loved ones because they have a dog and the majority (85%) speak to their dogs like a full-fledged family member
- As a nation many of us (71%) describe the family dog as a playmate, with this number increasing slightly for those with kids (76%)
If you’r thinking about getting a pet, there are some important considerations to make first, though! A professional dog trainer offers these great tips:
- Leaders Not Littermates: Children should take on smaller tasks such as feeding, positive treat training and walking the dog to ensure the family dog understands his position in the pack
- Consistency is Key: And when it comes to timing for feeding, exercise and discipline, getting on the same page as an entire family is a great way to bring everyone together and assign responsibilities.
UrbanMoms and Purina Dog Chow want to help make your Family Day with your pet extra special, so they are giving away an amazing Purina Dog Chow Family Day Prize Pack worth $125! The prize pack contains:
- A luxury dog bed – To provide a plush home for your pet
- Tasty bags of Purina Dog Chow – Provides a complete, healthy meal in every serving for a fun and energetic Family Day
- Dog-inspired picture frame – To display your Family Day memories
So visit UrbanMoms today to enter to win and enjoy a day of fun and relaxation with your loved ones, pets included! After all, no family is really complete without an animal to share the love with!