October Baby, one of the most original coming-of-age movies of the year, is now available on Blu-ray and DVD and if you love stories about becoming an adult and learning important life lessons, you’ll want to check it out. Here’s a brief synopsis:
As the curtain rises, Hannah hesitantly steps onto the stage for her theatrical debut in college. Yet before she can utter her first lines, Hannah—unscripted—collapses in front of the stunned audience.
After countless medical tests, all signs point to one underlying factor: Hannah’s difficult birth. This revelation is nothing compared to what she then learns from her parents: she was actually adopted … after a failed abortion attempt.
Bewildered, angered, and confused, Hannah turns for support to Jason, her oldest friend. Encouraged by his adventurous spirit, Hannah joins his group of friends on a Spring Break road trip, embarking on a journey to discover her hidden past … and find hope for her unknown future.
In the midst of her incredible journey, Hannah finds that life can be so much more than what you have planned.
Once you’ve watched the movie, why not curl up with the novel based on the movie and see if it measures up to the book! There’s even a fun study guide comparing the movie and the novel to spark some conversation. And if October Baby isn’t enough to satisfy your desire for coming-of-age emotion, check out 20th Century Fox’s top five list for great coming-of-age entertainment!
- AQUAMARINE – Imagine having to deal with growing pains and being a mermaid! In Aquamarine, best friends Hailey and Claire find a mermaid named Aquamarine, who has come on shore to prove to her dad, Neptune, that love does exists. With the help of her newfound friends, Aquamarine sets to find the man of her dreams and sets her eyes on Raymond, the local lifeguard that Hailey and Claire both admire.
- MY GIRL – My Girl tells the story of Vada, an 11-year old girl obsessed with death, after she blames herself for her mother’s death and her widowed father works as the local mortician. With the help of her best friend Thomas, a boy who suffers from all different sorts of allergies, Vada goes through an emotional awakening and learns to deal with losing a loved one.
- NOW & THEN – Roberta, Teeny, Sam and Chrissy are four 12-year-old girls growing up in a small town. Although they couldn’t be more different, they vow to be friends for life. The group makes a pact to be there for each other no matter what happens – and one summer in 1970 proves to be the true test of that. The girls endure the hardships of young romance and family divorce, but also share fun and laughter – they even manage solve a town mystery!
- STAND BY ME – This 1986 movie is perhaps one of the most well recognized “coming-of-age” movies and follows the lives of 4 adolescent boys (Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Jerry O’Connell, and Corey Feldman), who bond when they accidentally stumble upon the dead body of a missing child in the woods. The group decides to set out on a journey to see if they can solve the mystery and become hometown heroes. During their expedition, they confront death, loneliness, and a pack of no-good older bullies who are out to try and beat the four friends to solving the case of the dead body.
- PRETTY IN PINK – Andie (Mollie Ringwald) is an 18-year-old girl from a struggling family who resides in a questionable neighbourhood. Although her and her artsy friends are considered outsiders at their high school, she finds herself to be the object of affection of Blaine, a preppy, upper class senior. Andie must figure out if she wants to try and bridge the gap between her familiar world and that of the elite, all while staying true to who she is.
To celebrate the Blu-ray and DVD release of the film, 20th Century Fox is very generously offering one lucky Mommy Kat and Kids reader a prize pack containing an October Baby Blu-ray and the October Baby novel based on the film. To enter to win, just leave a blog comment about which one of 20th Century Fox’s top five coming-of-age movies is your favourite.
I’ll have a review of the movie in the coming weeks but in the meantime, check out the official October Baby website for more information about the film and fun content including computer wallpaper, music and announcements about movie events. And don’t forget to enter to win!
a Rafflecopter giveaway