I absolutely adore having soft, smooth skin but in my busy day, I don’t have much time for indulgent pampering. I love the long-lasting results I get from waxing, but I don’t love the time it takes. I like the speed of shaving, but not having to shave again and again every few days to keep my legs smooth. I wanted a solution and Philips recently came to my rescue when they gave me the chance to review two of its innovative hair removal products in the Philips Dare to Bare challenge.
I received the Philips SatinPerfect Epilator and Bikini Genie trimmer to review and over the next thirty days I will be testing the two products to see if they can replace waxing and shaving for me. I’ve used trimmers before but epilating was brand new to me, so I appreciated the tips that Philips provided for using the device:
- Gradually grow less: Over time, epilating can actually stop some hairs from coming back. To achieve 50% less hair growth, epilate every 4 weeks.
- Relax: When you are new to epilation, the first few sessions might be a little uncomfortable. To reduce this, try epilating when you’re relaxed, and avoid stimulants like coffee.
- Go against the flow: Make gentle upward strokes against the hair growth direction, starting at a lower speed if you’re feeling sensitive.
- Open up: Good news – epilating gets less and less painful over time. To make hair removal easier, first take a bath or shower to open the skin pores.
- Peas keep cool: After epilating, sooth your skin by cooling it with a bag of frozen peas.
- Scrub-a-dub: Exfoliating smoothes the skin and helps prevent ingrown hairs. Exfoliate between sessions, but give it a rest for a few days after epilating.
Properly instructed, I hopped into the shower to see what my first epilating experience would be like. And I have to be honest…it was not pleasant. I had done some research online and one of the experienced epilator users suggested using the device on the lower legs first and waiting for your body’s natural pain tolerance levels to increase before moving on to more sensitive areas. But after epilating my lower legs, there was no way I was moving on to sensitive areas!
The initial experience is similar to a bee sting or an electric shock as the epilator grasps the hairs and pulls them out at the root. It is a completely different feeling than waxing and the natural reaction I had was to pull the device away from my legs at each touch. But I slowly got used to the feeling and even though it still stung, it did become more bearable. I really liked that I was able to use the epilator in the shower since I found that using shaving gel on my wet skin allowed the epilator to glide over my legs much more easily.
I also noticed that the epilator didn’t hurt nearly as much when I used it on my thighs since the hair was so much thinner and finer there. I have a feeling that after a few weeks of using the epilator, the hair on my lower legs will also be finer and thus less painful to remove. And of course, the best part about epilating is that the skin does get used to the feeling over time, just like waxing, while still providing long-lasting results!
I’ll have a recap of my experience with the SatinPerfect Epilator and Bikini Genie trimmer next month, but so far I am cautiously optimistic that I may have found a way to get the smooth skin I crave without taking too much time to get it. Four days after using the epilator for the first time, my legs are still virtually smooth and once I have used it regularly for a month, I’m sure I’ll notice even more of a difference. Stay tuned to see what the results of my Dare to Bare challenge are like once the month is up!