I am a huge fan of garlic and I know I’m not the only one. It’s funny to think that such a pungent food could have such a devoted following, but people around the world know that everything’s better with garlic. In fact, the whole month of April has even been dubbed “Garlic Month!” In honour of the occasion, here are six facts about garlic that you might not know:
- Garlic is a member of the lily family.
- The smell of garlic can be removed from your hands by running them under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.
- China consumes the most garlic per capita per year; it is also the leader in garlic production, growing a staggering 46 billion pounds per year.
- Elephant Garlic isn’t actually garlic at all it is a leek
- Garlic was so highly prized in the ancient world that it was even found in Tutankhamen’s tomb.
- The word garlic comes from the Anglo-Saxon words ‘gar’ meaning spear and ‘lac’ meaning plant.
But to be honest, my favourite garlic fact is that it’s overwhelmingly delicious in Sabra Canada Roasted Garlic Hummus! I’ve tried almost every variety of Sabra Hummus since discovering the product a few years ago, but the Roasted Garlic variety is my hands-down favourite. Served with fresh vegetables for dipping, it’s a hearty and healthy snack!
To help you celebrate Garlic Month, Sabra has put together a fabulous giveaway! One lucky Mommy Kat and Kids reader is going to win a Garlic Lover’s Prize Pack worth $50! To enter to win, just leave a blog comment about your favourite family meal or snack that uses garlic!
And if you love garlic as much as I do, why not celebrate the end of Garlic Month by whipping up a few tasty recipes with Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus? Personally, this Hummus Garlic Bread is a family favourite when served with Caesar salad. Or just grab a container of hummus and a big bag of baby carrots or crackers and treat yourself to a delicious snack. It’s the perfect indulgence for any garlic lover!