In less than a week, the closing date for my house sale will be here and I’ll be saying goodbye to my childhood home forever. Having lived in the same house almost my entire life, it’s an emotional time for me.
But it’s also a busy one since the house has accumulated so much over the years. And between packing, throwing out garbage and giving away items I’m not putting into storage, I don’t really have the time or utensils to cook proper meals at the moment.
Luckily for me, Kraft Canada came to the rescue with some incredible portable picnic recipe ideas! The recipes are quick and easy to whip up, can be eaten quickly or taken on the road and, best of all, require hardly any cooking! I decided to put a twist on a popular recipe on the website: Layered Bean Salad with Feta.
While it’s a hearty enough salad to be a meal already, I need all the energy I can get at the moment. Adding tuna was the perfect way to make this tasty salad even healthier and more filling!
While I’m sure this bean salad recipe is most flavourful when made with fresh beans as in the original recipe, a lack of pots and pans in the house led me to use canned green and yellow beans instead. The resulting salad was still delicious and saved me both the time and the pot I would have needed to use cooked fresh beans instead.
I also switched up the dressing in the salad to add even more Greek flair to the final creation. The Kraft Greek Feta and Oregano dressing was tangy, flavourful and paired wonderfully with the other ingredients. I added the dressing to the salad right away rather than waiting until I was ready to eat and I found that the results when eating the salad the next day were reminiscent of a flavourful deli bean salad.
Looking for more great summer salad recipes? This Japanese Coleslaw Asian Salad is always a hit and perfect for potlucks or picnics as well!
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) cut green beans
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) cut wax beans
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL )no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 1 can (5 fl oz/125 mL) chunk light tuna
- 1 cup Cracker Barrel Crumbled Feta Cheese with Oregano, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Kraft Greek Feta and Oregano Dressing
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Layer kidney beans, yellow beans, tomatoes, onions, green beans, chickpeas, tuna and cheese in 8 clean 500mL canning jars.
- Mix dressing and parsley in small bowl and pour small portion over each salad. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to four days.
If desired, layer ingredients in large salad bowl instead of jars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337 Total Fat: 16.3g Saturated Fat: 4.4g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 1190mg Carbohydrates: 31.5g Fiber: 7.8g Sugar: 5.8g Protein: 16.4g