As a travel junkie, pretty much any time of year is a good one for a vacation in my mind. But summer is especially good of course, since the kids are out of school, most parents have more free time and planning a road trip is a breeze!
For the ultimate fun-filled travel experience, knowledge and preparaiton are key, though! That’s why P&G has put together some handy travel tips to help you ensure that your family vacation is one to remember forever.
Take Time to Prep
- Dedicate time well before departure to plan your pack—yes plan. Check the weather forecast, ensure flight times are accurate, check construction and closures and find alternative routes to make a realistic travel route to get you there on time. If flying, remember to double check what you can bring in your carry-on to avoid anything being thrown out.
- Avoid the morning of mad dash to gather all necessary toiletries and invest in a travel set of essentials. Do you need a full size shampoo and conditioner for the family to share, or can you use the adorable mini travel-sized items, like the super cute and convenient mini Scope Outlast to maintain fresh breath on the go? If you have essentials you just can’t duplicate, like an electronic toothbrush, add them to your last minute pack list.
Make a List, Check It Twice
- If heading on a road trip, packing the family and your trip essentials can mean a tightly packed car. Making a check list of what you really need will help eliminate those “nice to have” items that will overflow the car.
- Involve the kids – throughout the week have the kids write down items they use in the day on a chalk or white board in a central location (i.e. kitchen fridge). At the end of the week, go through the list together and narrow it down to the must haves. You may be surprised by some of the things you use daily!
To Pack It Right, Pack It Light!
- The lighter the better! We know packing with kids and pets it may be difficult to live by this mantra, however keeping things light and simple leaves room for souvenirs.
- Downsize by bringing items that have more uses than one. Bring Pampers Sensitive wipes – they work wonders for baby’s bottom and do double duty by wiping faces clean of juice spills and other sticky messes. Be sure to have Puffs Basic Tissues on hand to aid in the unexpected clean up!
- Bounce Free & Sensitive Dryer Sheets are a great static solution on the go. Rub along your electric-charged clothing item to help remove pesky static!
- When packing clothing, try rolling versus folding. It often helps keep things less-wrinkled and can save space in your suitcase. And to keep everything smelling fresh, longer, spray the inside of your suit case with Febreze Fabric Refresher Extra Strength.
- It’s easy to get tempted by road side stops for fries and ice cream, which can add up and increase your budget. Try bringing cut fruit, veggies and bags of trail mix to help curb everyone’s appetite! And don’t worry about the mess, Bounty DuraTowels White Paper Towels are perfect for spills and sticky fingers.
- Bathroom pit stops can often be annoying if certain amenities are missing – don’t leave the house without bringing your own Charmin Basic so you’re always fresh and comfortable. Keep your mouth feeling fresh too by bringing Oral-B Pro-Health Cross Action Manual Toothbrush and ORAL B Pro-Health Glide Floss so you can head back into the car feeling rejuvenated, ready for the next leg of the trip.
- Long car rides can often result in smells you’d wish you left at home. With leftover snacks sitting around, get rid of the odours by using a Febreze Car Vent Clip Air Freshener to keep your vehicle fresh for hours and hours.
- Always remember to bring a first aid kit. No one wants to get sick on vacation so be prepared for everything that may get thrown your way. From cuts, bruises, to colds and allergies, be ready to tackle it all so the fun never stops!
My boys and I have already made a trip to North Dakota this summer, and next weekend we’ll be heading to Edmonton.
A few weeks later, a quick trip to Saskatoon to spend time with my sister is in the works and of course, no summer can go by without the boys visiting their “Nan” on her acreage!
With so many trips in our future, I know these tips are going to come in handy time and time again. Grab some travel essentials from P&G, make your plans and get ready for some summer fun. There’s no better time of year to hit the road!