Even though the first day of school is quickly sneaking up on us, summer isn’t over just yet! And that’s why I’m making the most of every warm day we have left with plenty of sun, fun and outdoor playtime.
But there’s one thing about these final days of summer that I don’t enjoy…the bugs! From swarms of mosquitos at dusk to increasingly aggressive wasps, bothersome insects are one of the few things that can put a damper on my enjoyment of the outdoors.
Luckily, I have some great advice on how to deal with mosquitos, ticks and wasps from the experts at Tender Corporation! With this information at the ready, the whole family will be able to enjoy the warm days and crisp evenings of late summer and early fall. Here’s some tips to help you make sure fall insects aren’t “bugging” you!
- Limit your time outdoors when mosquitoes are there most active at dusk and dawn.
- If you need to be outdoors, you can avoid mosquitoes by wearing light coloured, loose fitting clothing and use Natrapel to provide yourself with a DEET free option.
- Drain, dump, treat, cover any water site that mosquitoes can develop in. Mosquitoes develop in the water so no water in your backyard ensures fewer mosquitoes.
- While the adult stage is usually the most recognized in May-June, ticks are still active and present literally all year. Currently, the nymphs are present currently and if attached to you for more than 24 hours can transmit diseases like Lyme.
- Protection and treatment of tick areas in your yard, on your campsite, or at the soccer field is key for avoiding potential tick bites. Ben’s is a great option for you to protect yourself and your family from these dangerous arachnids.
- After being outdoors a thorough check of one’s body is key to make sure no ticks have attached to you or are looking to feed on you.
- Finding the nest and treating it is key in reducing these very aggressive and dangerous insects from ruining your backyard party or campsite.
- Try not to treat the nest during the day as that is the most active time for wasps. Treating the nest at night when most if not all of the workers are present.
- Wasps do not have a barb and they can sting many times, if you are hyper allergic carry an EpiPen to potentially save your life.
Personally, I am a huge fan of the Natrapel insect repellent. I don’t like using products containing DEET so having an alternative that provides more natural protection but still works great is a dream come true for me.
Plus, the fresh lemon scent of the spray is so much more pleasant than traditional insect repellents.
And for those long days spend outside, the Ultralight & Watertight .5 Medical Kit is ideal for ensuring we’re prepared for any potential mishap! I like to add a bottle of Natrapel and a tube of After Bite to the kit before heading out on a family hike.
The waterproof design means our supplies stay safe even if there’s a sudden fall storm and the emergency supplies inside are handy for everything from treating a blister to wrapping a sprain.
No matter what activities you’re enjoying as summer ends and fall approaches, having first-aid supplies and bug protection from Tender Corporation close at hand will ensure the whole family can enjoy each day to its fullest.
Find the products at Canadian Tire, Mountain Equipment Co-Op and other select stores across Canada and get ready for plenty of outdoor fun that can last from one season to the next!