This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
While an exotic vacation is always a treat, I have to say that I have just as much fun on a good old-fashioned family road trip as I do hopping on a plane.
Finding the many beautiful landmarks and cities that are just a short drive away is such a treat and of course, the journey is always half the fun as well!
Right now, we’re preparing for a road trip to the beautiful Big Muddy region in Southern Saskatchewan, and that means I’m ensuring that my car, house and family are all ready for our upcoming adventure!
With two hungry boys to feed, good road trip food is a must when I’m planning a trip. We have a few top road trip food choices, but muffins are probably my personal favourite.
They’re portable, relatively mess-free to eat and can be baked up in a variety of flavours to suit my boys’ tastes. And in the summer, these easy Blueberry Muffins are always a hit, though I often make them with freshly picked Saskatoon berries when I can!
When the blueberry muffins are packed in a cooler along with juice boxes, water bottles, cheese, meat sticks, nuts, fruit and other road trip favourites, it’s almost time to hit the road! But first, I always make sure to go through a quick checklist so that I’m sure we’re ready to leave. Don’t hop in the car before making these preparations:
- Put a hold on mail and newspaper delivery.
- Give a spare key to a friend or neighbour in case of emergency.
- Check batteries in smoke detector and replace if necessary.
- Unplug all non-essential lights, electronics and appliances.
- Buy Quaker State oil at Canadian Tire and perform a DIY oil change.
- Check and adjust tire pressure, and check condition of spare tire.
- Check car emergency kit and replace items if necessary.
- Confirm insurance and pack any necessary paperwork.
- Pack cooler with road trip food and drinks.
- Ensure phones and gaming systems are fully charged.
- Download route to phone and plan rest stops.
- Pack books, games and activities for each child.
One of the most important steps our family takes in preparing for a road trip is performing a quick check and tuneup on our car, including an oil change with Quaker State® Ultimate Durability™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil. It’s tested to provide better protection for longer, making it perfect for road-trip fanatics like us.
And while I’m picking up the oil at Canadian Tire (or waiting for the store to finish my oil change when I don’t have time to do it myself), I always manage to find other great road trip essentials browsing the aisles. Our multi-port car charger for our various cell phones and devices was a Canadian Tire find and I’d never head out on a long trip without it!
Of course, when buying oil, make sure to always use the oil necessary for your car (as specified in your owner’s manual) and be sure to check you local Canadian Tire stores for availability.
No matter where you’re going this summer, taking the time to ensure that your car is in top shape, your house is secure and you have plenty of fun activities and delicious food will help you enjoy a trip that’s full of fun and free of stress.
Whip up these easy Blueberry Muffins along with a few other road trip treats for your next adventure and get ready to explore all the wonders that are just a drive away this summer!
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries or saskatoons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Mix dry ingredients in small bowl until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, alternating with milk.
- Fold in blueberries and fill 12 muffin tins ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g