I love cooking up special treats for special occasions, and with Canada Day coming up so quickly, I couldn’t resist making something tasty to celebrate our country! The Kraft Canada website is always a go-to resource for me when I want delicious Canada Day recipes and its Jell-O based Flag Cake is a treat I’ve made many years in the past. But this year I decided to switch things up a bit and make cupcakes instead! To keep with the theme, I used Red Velvet cake mix and a tasty cream cheese frosting.
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- Prepare cake mix using eggs, milk and oil. Pour into paper-lined muffin tin and bake according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar.
- Cool cupcakes completely and frost with cream cheese icing.
- Arrange strawberry slices on top to resemble maple leaf.
The cupcakes were quick and easy to make and while the strawberry slices didn’t look exactly like a maple leaf, my family certainly didn’t mind! Plus making cupcakes instead of a full-sized cake means less mess for me since there are no extra dishes to wash after dessert!
While I really liked the red and white colour scheme of the cupcakes, they could easily be made with a different flavour of cake mix if desired. In fact, I think I might try a white cake mix with some red sprinkles mixed into the batter next time I make this recipe!
For other tasty recipes, make sure to visit the Kraft Canada website to find Canada Day recipes and ideas for everything from the main course to appetizers to desserts. You’re sure to find some fun new dishes the whole family will love! Then kick back, relax and enjoy great food as you celebrate Canada with your family this year!