Is there anything better than a cupcake? Moist cake with creamy icing that you hold in the palm of your hand…what tastier treat could there be?
I’ve always loved baking and so when I recently received a copy of 150 Best Cupcake Recipes to review, I knew I had to test out one of the recipes as soon as possible.
Choosing which cupcake to bake took a bit of time, but eventually I decided on the decadent-sounding Chocolate Bar Cupcakes.
A combination of rich chocolate cake batter and chopped chocolate bars make this Chocolate Bar Cupcake recipe recipe perfect for both kids and adults!
Instead of Milky Way chocolate bars, I decided to use Mars chocolate bars. The bars are similar but I thought adding some caramel to the mixture could only be a good thing!
I topped the cupcakes with creamy Peanut Butter Frosting. This frosting was nice and not too sweet, making it the perfect pairing for a cupcake that was quite rich and sweet on its own.
I must say that these cupcakes didn’t turn out quite the way I expected. I thought that the chunks of chocolate bar would remain solid in the batter but instead they melted into the surrounding cupcake resulting in little air pockets throughout the cupcake with rich, chocolaty chocolate bar-enhanced cake surrounding it.
150 Best Cupcake Recipes has plenty of other cupcakes I can’t wait to try as well, from holiday-themed Peppermint Candy Cupcakes to summery Pink Lemonade Cupcakes. And to help your treats look as good as they taste, the book features decorating tips and techniques too!
Whether you love cupcakes or just want to find a few great go-to recipes for birthday parties and special occasions, 150 Best Cupcake Recipes is sure to have what you’re looking for. Check it out and enjoy tasty cupcakes any time!
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely ground coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 2 large candy bars (such as Milky Way), cut into chunks
- About 1 cup (250 mL) frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, coffee, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped candy bars.
- Scoop batter into a muffin pan, lined with paper liners. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 27 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Reprinted with permission from Robert Rose Inc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g