One of the things I love about spring is that time after the snow has melted and there is green grass and new little flowers everywhere. Here in Saskatchewan, that’s not something we get to enjoy in March too often. And this year has been especially miserable with the snow still taller than me out in the yard and temperatures that have only just started to reach the melting point in the last day or two.
I may not be able to enjoy green grass and sweet smelling flowers for another month or two, but spring is here and I want to celebrate! So I decided to create some fun little cupcakes for the family that captured the things I most love about spring. Taking my inspiration from the recipe for Spring Flower Brownies on the Life Made Delicious website, I treated my boys to Easy Spring Flower Cupcakes!
- Cake Batter, your own recipe or a mix
- 1 Tub Betty Crocker* Creamy Deluxe* Vanilla Frosting
- Green Food Colouring
- Coloured Miniature Marshmallows
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill liners with batter and bake as directed, until a wooden skewer inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Stir frosting until smooth. Add a few drops of food colouring to frosting and stir until frosting reaches desired shade. Ice cupcakes with a knife or cover in small rosettes using an icing bag fitted with a star tip.
- To make marshmallow flower garnish, cut 4 to 5 slits halfway through each marshmallow with scissors and open slits to form flower. Position two or three flowers on top of each cupcake. Slightly flatten green marshmallows and cut small pieces for leaves; position in place around flowers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I used a star tip on my icing bag to make little rosettes imitating the green grass that I’ve been missing but if I’d been in a rush, another option would have been tinting coconut green, spreading the icing on the cupcakes with a knife and then dipping the tops in green coconut to create the look of grass with less work. I loved how easy it was to make the flowers and they looked so cute on top of the cupcakes!
I may still be waiting for that first glimpse of bare ground, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy some springtime fun and sitting with my boys eating these marshmallow-garnished cupcakes was a great way of doing that. If you’re looking for a fun way to welcome spring, why not give these a try? Or check out the Life Made Delicious website for more great recipes that will have you thinking spring even if you’re still waiting for warmer days!
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.