For the ninth year in a row, M&M Meat Shops is encouraging busy families to sit down together for dinner on September 19, 2013 for National Family Dinner Night! Sitting down for dinner is something that families tend to do less and less as our lives get busier, but it really is worth making time for! Family dinner isn’t just a chance to eat; it allows parents and children to reconnect, talk about their day and share triumphs and troubles to ensure a close bond that lasts long after the meal is done.
Of course, it can be hard to get that delicious family dinner ready sometimes, and that’s why M&M Meat Shops offers so many quick and convenient meal options perfect for an on-the-go family. This year, I was asked to create a National Family Dinner Night recipe using M&M products and I couldn’t wait to tackle the challenge!
The hardest thing about creating a recipe with M&M products is the fact that so many of the products available are delicious just as they are! Whether you’re looking for a tasty side dish like Grilled Vegetables or Parmesan and Garlic Potato Wedges, or a filling main course such as Lemon & Herb Chicken Tenderloins or Cod Andalusia, so many of the options need nothing more than to be heated up and served. Eventually I decided to create a pasta dish, since noodles are always a kid-friendly favourite. By adding M&M Meat Shops “New York” Striploin Steak, Garlic Shrimp and Sautéed Onions and Peppers, I was able to create a meal fancy enough for company that was still ready in a flash!
- 3-4 M&M “New York” Striploin Steaks, thawed
- 1 box, 12 oz/340g M&M Garlic Shrimp
- 1 tbsp. 15ml butter
- ½ bag, 4 oz/227g M&M Sauteed Onions and Peppers
- 1 1/2 cups 375ml whipping cream
- 1 cup 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. 30ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 oz 454g linguine
- Parmesan cheese and additional chopped parsley
- Turn oven to broil setting. Arrange garlic shrimp and steaks on large baking sheet, sprinkling steak with coarse salt and pepper if desired. Place baking sheet in hot oven and broil for six minutes, turning steaks halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven.
- For sauce, melt butter in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add M&M Sautéed Onions and Peppers to skillet slowly and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add whipping cream and chicken stock. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return to pot. Add sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve pasta topped with garlic shrimp and sliced steak. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and additional chopped parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1683Total Fat: 90gSaturated Fat: 54gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 232mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 188gFiber: 8gSugar: 133gProtein: 34g
The combination of flavourful peppers and onions with the creamy sauce was absolutely fabulous in this recipe and for a lighter vegetarian version, would have been a tasty meal as is. But I absolutely adore surf and turf, so I couldn’t resist adding the rich and tender strips of steak and plump jumbo garlic shrimp to the meal to make it extra special. Best of all, the dish took only about thirty minutes to prepare, perfect for a busy weeknight!
Do you have a favourite family recipe using M&M Meat Shops products too? To celebrate National Family Dinner Night, M&M Meat Shops is holding a very special contest on its Facebook page and your recipe could help you win! Between September 13, 2013 and October 11, 2013, just submit a family recipe using M&M Meat Shops products and you could win one of three $100 M&M Meat Shops gift cards! And best of all, I have a $25 M&M Meat Shops gift card to give away to one lucky reader to help get you started! To enter to win, just leave a blog comment about what easy family dinner you might make for National Family Dinner Night!
Of course, if you just don’t have the time or energy to cook, the fabulous selection of quick and easy main courses, side dishes and complete meals at M&M Meat Shops will ensure that you can still sit down for a tasty family dinner even when you only have minutes to prepare! Try out this decadent steak and shrimp pasta or find other great recipes on the M&M Meat Shops website that help make dinnertime a breeze even on the busiest days!
a Rafflecopter giveaway