When the busy holiday season starts, there’s just no better way to celebrate than with a tasty brunch to kick off the weekend.
Brunch is one of those meals that Canadians really embrace, and with good reason! The mix of sweet and savoury foods and the casual buffet style of the meal makes enjoying good food and good company so easy!
To celebrate Canada’s love of brunch, Sun-Maid has created four tasty recipes perfect for your holiday brunch plans and I just had to test one of them out myself.
I decided to try the Rise and Shine Raisin Coffee Bake. This easy cake-like dish is essentially a baked version of French toast, made festive with a tangy orange glaze.
The best thing about this recipe is that it can be assembled before bed, covered and stored in the refrigerator to bake the next day. I did just that and the cake baked up to perfection the next morning.
I made the glaze a little thinner than the recipe called for simply because I used the freshly squeezed juice of the orange I had used for the zest and it yielded more than 2 tbsp.
I actually found I preferred the glaze this way, since it soaked into the cake and gave it a refreshing citrus flavour that blended beautifully with the raisins and cinnamon.
As this is so similar to French toast, it would also be delicious with maple syrup, but the orange glaze dressed it up and gave it a more festive flair that I loved.
Overall, this recipe was easy, delicious and the perfect way to kick-start the weekend, as well as being a tasty addition to a holiday brunch.
Give this tasty Raisin Coffee Bake a try and see how simple and delicious it is for yourself!
- 1 loaf Sun-Maid Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp. 15 ml vanilla
- 1 cup 250 ml 10% cream
- 2 tbsp. 30 ml Nescafe Taster's Choice coffee
- 1 tsp. 5 ml cinnamon
- 1/4 cup 60 ml Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup 125 ml icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. 30 ml orange juice
- Zest of one large orange
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, Nescafe, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Toss with bread cubes.
- Spread evenly into a greased 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with golden raisins.
- Bake 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Whisk together orange zest and juice with icing sugar and drizzle over top.
- Cut into pieces to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 6g