I shop at Walmart for all kinds of things, from clothing to toys to furniture to electronics. But one of the sections of the store that’s impressed me more and more lately is the grocery section. I used to make a separate trip to a grocery store every time I went to Regina to shop, but lately I just haven’t needed to do that. I can get all the food my family needs at Walmart!
And that even includes fresh, Canadian protein choices like chicken, Angus beef, pork and salmon. Recently Walmart Canada sent me a gift card so that I could grab some fresh, delicious meat for my family and see for myself how delicious it is to eat fresh with Walmart. Of course, I was only too happy to oblige.
Walmart’s great selection of fresh meat is actually something I already know about. I buy the Angus beef stir fry strips all the time and often buy fresh, whole chicken for roasting or cutting up and deep-frying. The store’s prices on fresh meat are just so amazing! On this occasion I decided to try a recipe on the Walmart Recipe Centre using boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Chicken with Mushroom Cream Sauce!
- 1 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 4 Chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 Onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Mushrooms
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 3 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp. Parsley
- 1.2 cup Whipping Cream
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for 10 minute or until mushrooms are soft and slightly browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms; stir until combined and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and cream; bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the parsley.
- Serve over rice or with a green salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This dish was so quick and easy, yet had a great gourmet flavour. While the original recipe called for rice as a side dish, I decided to serve a fresh green salad on the side instead. That meant I could use all the rich mushroom gravy for my chicken! I also used a blend of Crimini mushrooms and regular white button mushrooms for the sauce to give it a more complex flavour and the result was absolutely delicious.
And best of all, the meal was so quick and easy! In about half an hour, my chicken and sauce were cooked to perfection and ready to serve. Starting with fresh chicken breast always makes a big difference, because it helps minimize cooking time!
If you haven’t checked out the protein selections available at Walmart lately, now is a great time to do so. With a 100% satisfaction guarantee, delicious Canadian cuts of meat and great low prices, there’s no need to shop anywhere else. Grab your favourite, try one of the tasty recipes on the Walmart Recipe Centre and eat #WalmartFRESH for dinner tonight!