Last month I received the Philips BikiniGenie trimmer and SatinPerfect epilator so that I could join in the Dare to Bare challenge. The mission was simple…to say goodbye to my razor and wax and start getting smooth with the epilator and trimmer instead. Philips provided me with some tips for making the process easier, but my first time epilating was still pretty painful! I stuck with it, and a month later, I have a few tips of my own about keeping skin smooth with the Philips SatinPerfect epilator!
- It Does Get Better: Epilating is never going to be completely enjoyable, but the pain does get better after going through the process a few times. That’s partly because there is less hair to remove after using the epilator for a few weeks and partly because the body does get used to the feeling. So don’t give up too quickly!
- Try It Wet and Dry: When I first used the epilator, I did so in the shower and thought that the process would be significantly better epilating wet since the steam would open up the pores. But I actually found later that I preferred epilating when my skin was dry. It was quick and convenient to do and I seemed to remove more hair with less effort epilating out of the shower.
- Go Slow and Go Once: If you have sensitive skin, you may get a slight reaction from epilating. I get the same reaction waxing; for about ten minutes after my skin is red and bumpy before calming down. But the epilator can’t properly glide over my skin when it’s covered in little bumps, so slowing down and ensuring I only need to epilate an area of skin once each time is important for smooth results.
I also received the new Philips BikiniGenie trimmer and for anyone that is concerned about waxing or epilating more delicate areas, this handy little trimmer is a great solution. Philips has some tips for making trimming a comfortable experience too! Even if you’ve been shaving and trimming for years, it can still be handy to find out how to improve your experience and results.
- Make a clean start: Take a shower or bath before you start in order to open the pores and allow for a more precise trim and a closer shave. Philips Ladyshavers can also be used in the wet, if you’d rather shave in the shower or bath.
- Tame before you aim: Trim your bikini area before shaping – Philips Bikini Perfect has 5 length setting combs for even results and a precision trimmer for an accurate finish.
- Hold the lotion: When shaving or trimming on dry skin, make sure that your skin is completely dry and free from creams or lotions.
- Go against the flow: To get the closest shave, make upward strokes, against the direction in which your hair grows.
- Stay in touch: For best results, hold your bikini trimmer or Ladyshave at 90ᵒ and make sure the entire appliance head is in contact with your skin.
- Post-shave pamper: After shaving, treat your skin to a thirst-quenching body lotion or oil for a silky-soft glow.
After a month of using the Philips SatinPerfect Epilator, I am a convert. It gives me the same long lasting results as waxing at a fraction of the price. It may take some time to get used to the sensation, but it’s worth it in exchange for having smooth legs that last for weeks. If you currently shave or wax and are looking for a better solution for smooth skin that’s quick, inexpensive and effective, epilating may be perfect for you. Check out the full line of Philips hair removal options and dare to bare some smooth skin too!