One of the reasons I love cooking with salt is its almost magical ability to change the character of another food when the two are paired together.
Salted caramel has become a staple in any dessert-lovers recipe box, since the salt cuts the richness of the caramel while also enhancing its sweetness. Chocolate and sea salt are used in much the same way.
But one of the lesser known pairings is salt and fresh fruit. So when Windsor Salt wanted me to spread the word about its new packaging and logo design with a recipe creation, I decided it was time to highlight that pairing in my recipe!
I first tried salt and fresh fruit at the recommendation of Chef David Wood. He recommended eating fresh, ripe pineapple sprinkled with coarse salt, and promised the saltiness would make the pineapple even more sweet and flavourful.
He was right, and pineapple with salt has been one of my favourite summer desserts for years now. Since the salt had worked so well with the tropical flavour of the pineapple, I had a feeling it would work well with other tropical favours too.
And after creating this Salted Mango Mousse recipe, I was proven right!
The combination of sweet and creamy mango with the bite from the salt was every bit as delectable as I had hoped it would be. The slight crunch added some great texture to the dessert as well.
And while I initially added kiwi on top to ensure a good blend of colours, I was thrilled with how well the flavours went together too. This tasty treat could easily be customized with different chopped fruit on top as well. I’m going to try strawberry and mango next time!
Looking for other great recipes using mango? This tropical Mango Bread recipe is a must-try! It freezes wonderfully so that you can enjoy the taste of mango at its best in the coming months!
Whipping up this dessert gave me a new appreciation for just how versatile salt can be, and Windsor Kosher Salt is a personal favourite since it adds that extra bit of crunch and flavour to any dish.
Give this dessert a try the next time mangoes are on sale. You’ll be amazed to see how much more magical a tropical fruit can become with just a touch of salt!
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 package 7g unflavoured gelatin
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped fruit, mango, strawberries, kiwi, etc
- 2 tsp. Windsor Kosher Salt
- Puree mangoes in food processor until smooth. Mix in sugar, lime juice and gelatin powder until fully combined.
- Refrigerate for approximately 20 minutes, until mango mixture just starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, whip cream until it forms stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the mango mixture until well mixed.
- Pour into individual serving dishes and refrigerate until set, about four hours.
- Top with chopped fruit and sprinkle 1/2 tsp. Windsor Kosher Salt over each serving. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g